- 20 min
- 60 min
- 125g unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup (110g) caster sugar
- ½ cup (110g) brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 tsp Queen Natural Vanilla Extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana (approx. 2 large bananas)
- 100ml buttermilk
- 1 ½ cups (225g) self-raising flour
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
Preheat oven to 180°C (fan forced). Grease and line the base and sides of a 20cm round cake tin.
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter until smooth and creamy. Add sugars and Vanilla Extract, beat for 3-5 minutes until lightened in colour. Add eggs one at a time, mixing to combine. Add mashed banana and mix to incorporate.
Sift together flour, bicarb soda, salt & cinnamon.
Add half of the flour mixture, followed by a half of the buttermilk, mixing to incorporate. Add remaining flour and buttermilk and mix until combined. Pour into prepared tin and bake for 60 minutes.
If you don’t have buttermilk on hand here are some alternatives:
- Add 2 tsp of vinegar or lemon juice to a measuring jug and pour in full cream milk to make up the 100ml used in the recipe.
- Mix together 50ml of water with 50ml of natural or greek yoghurt (unflavoured) or sour cream.
- You can use all caster sugar or all brown sugar in this recipe isf you do not have both
- Choc chips – ½ cup folded through batter.
- Walnuts or other nuts – ½ cup folded through batter.
- Nutella – Before baking, dollop spoonful of Nutella or hazelnut spread on top of the batter and swirl through with a knife
- Raspberries – ½ cup fresh or frozen (thawed, drained), folded through batter.
- Maple Cinnamon Glaze:
- 1 cup (150g) icing sugar
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Queen Vanilla Bean Paste
- ¼ cup (60ml) Queen Pure maple syrup
- Mix all ingredients together until smooth. Pour over cooled cake.
To make 12 standard size cupcakes:
60g unsalted butter, softened
¼ cup (65g) caster sugar
¼ cup (65g) brown sugar, firmly packed
1 tsp Queen Natural Vanilla Extract
1 large eggs
½ cup mashed ripe banana (approx. 1 large banana)
¾ cup (110g) self-raising flour
¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
Pinch of salt
Cooking time for cupcakes: Fill cupcake cases ¾ full (1/4 cup – 60ml) and bake for 25-30 minutes or until cupcake bounces back when pressed.