- 30 min
- 70 min
- 150g (¾ cup, softly packed) brown sugar
- 75g butter, diced
- 4 medium (about 170g each, with skin) ripe bananas, peeled and cut lengthways
- 125g butter, at room temperature
- ¾ cup, firmly packed (165g) brown sugar
- 1 tsp Queen Natural Organic Vanilla Extract
- 2 eggs
- 275g (1 cup) mashed very ripe banana
- 185g (1 ¼ cups) plain flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
Method - Topping
Preheat oven to 160°C (fan-forced). Grease and line a 20cm round cake tin.
Combine sugar and butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring frequently until sugar dissolves and starts to bubble. Simmer for 15 sec without stirring. Pour into prepared tin, spread to cover base then set aside to cool slightly.
Arrange bananas in tin over sugar mixture, cutting to fit when necessary.
Method - Cake
Beat butter, sugar and Vanilla until pale and creamy, scraping down sides when necessary. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition until well combined.
Use a fork to mash bananas on a plate. Add to butter mixture and beat on low to combine. Sift together flour, baking powder, cinnamon and bicarbonate of soda. Add to banana mixture and beat on lowest speed until just combined.
Spoon mixture into prepared tin and smooth surface with back of a metal spoon, making a shallow well in centre.
Bake for 70 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean. Stand in tin for at least 10 minutes before turning onto a serving plate or cake stand with a lip.
Tip: Pack the bananas as tightly as possible in the base of the tin for the best visual effect