- 25 min
- 30 min
- 125g butter
- 1/3 cup (50g) icing sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup (280g) mashed banana (approx 3 small or 2 large)
- 1 teaspoon Queen Organic Vanilla Bean Paste
- 2 cups (300g) self raising flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup (80g) diced dates
- 1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
- 1 tbsp boiling water
- 2 teaspoons milk
Preheat oven to 180C (fan forced). Beat butter, sugar, and eggs until light and fluffy.
Place dates in a small bowl with bicarbonate soda. Top with boiling water and set aside for 5 minutes until just soft (not mushy). Drain excess water.
Add banana, dates and Vanilla Bean Paste to butter mixture and stir lightly.
Using a butter knife, stir in flour and baking soda to wet mixture then turn onto a floured board and knead very lightly until mixture just comes together.
Shape to a 2.5cm thick rectangle. Cut rounds using a 2.5cm cutter and place on a floured baking tray (you can use baking paper), ensuring scones are sitting close together, but not touching.
Brush tops with milk, and bake for 20-25 minutes until risen and golden on top. Serve with maple butter for lunchboxes or jam and cream at home.