- 20 min
- 70 min
- 700g fresh pumpkin, skin on (for 425g of pumpkin puree) - or canned pumpkin*
- Neutral flavoured oil for pumpkin, such as canola
- 2 cups (300g) plain flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarb soda
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 170g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 ½ cups (330g) caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp Queen Natural Vanilla Extract
- ¾ cup (90g) pecans
- ¾ cup (70g) oats
- 5 tablespoons (60g) plain flour
- 1/3 cup (75g) firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon or Queen Cinnamon Baking Paste
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 tsp Queen Natural Vanilla extract
- 100g unsalted butter, softened
Method - Muffins
Preheat oven to 180C (fan forced). Line 18 x muffin holes with paper cases.
If using fresh pumpkin to make pumpkin puree, scoop out the flesh and cut into wedges about 3cm thick, keeping the skin on. Place pumpkin on baking sheet, spray or brush both sides of pumpkin with oil. Roast for 30-40 minutes or until fork tender. Let pumpkin cool slightly before scooping from skin and pureeing in a blender. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, bicarbonate soda, cloves, ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg. Set aside.
In the bowl of an electric mixer or with a handheld mixer, beat the butter and sugar at low speed until just blended. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition; continue beating for a few minutes at medium speed until very light and fluffy. Add Vanilla Extract and beat to combine. Add the cooled pumpkin puree and beat until combined, scraping down the sides of bowl as necessary. Turn the speed down to low and mix in the flour mixture until just combined. Fill each muffin case 3/4 full.
Method - Streusel Topping
Combine topping ingredients and divide evenly over muffins.
Bake for 30 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean. Let the muffins cool in tin for 5 minutes, then transfer onto rack to cool completely.
Muffins will keep for up to 3 days in an airtight container.
*Canned pumpkin can be found in the international section of some supermarkets.