- 30 min + Chilling
- 25 min
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 cup + 1 tbsp (130g) caster sugar
- 1/3 cup (50g) cornflour
- Pinch salt
- 300ml thickened cream
- 300ml milk
- 2 tsp Queen Celebrating 120 Years Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp Queen Vanilla Bean Paste
- 2 Queen Pure Vanilla Bean Whole Pods
- 1/4 cup (55g) caster sugar
- 3 tsp ground cinnamon or Queen Cinnamon Baking Paste
- 3 sheets (24 cm x 24 cm) store bought frozen puff pastry, partially thawed
- 50g butter, melted
Method - Custard
Whisk egg yolks, sugar, cornflour and a pinch of salt in a bowl to combine, then whisk in cream, milk, Vanilla Extract and Vanilla Bean Paste. Transfer to a saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat (5 minutes). Whisk continuously on medium-high until thick and smooth (5-10 minutes). Transfer custard to a bowl, cover with cling wrap and chill until cool (1-2 hours).
Method - Pastry
Preheat oven to 210°C (fan forced). Using a sharp knife, split Vanilla Bean Pods length ways and scrape seeds out with tip of knife. Mix vanilla seeds, sugar and cinnamon until combined. Sprinkle one third of mixture evenly over one pastry sheet. Cover with another pastry sheet and sprinkle with another third of mixture. Repeat with remaining pastry and mixture sheet. Cover pastry with baking paper and press together using a rolling pin. Remove paper and roll pastry together into a log. Using a sharp knife, cut log into 18 even pieces.
Lightly grease 18 x muffin holes (of 2 x muffin tins) with melted butter. Roll pastry pieces out to 10cm circles on a lightly floured bench. Gently press pastry into muffin tin holes. Remove custard from fridge. Fill muffin holes with 1 ½ - 2 tablespoons of custard.
Bake for 25 minutes or until pastry is crisp and flaky and custard is golden. Allow to rest for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
- Greasing your baking tins with butter will help the pastry shells stay flaky and crisp.
- These custard tarts are best eaten the same day when the custard is warm and the pastry is crisp.
If using Queen Cinnamon Baking Paste, simply spread paste over pastry and sprinkle over sugar combined with vanilla bean seeds