- 20 mins
- 50 mins
- 1 cup (150g) plain flour
- 1 cup (100g) almond meal
- 125g butter, chilled
- 1/3 cup + 1 tbsp (60g) icing sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tsp Queen Vanilla Bean Paste
- 2 large egg yolks, extra, beaten
- 9 large egg yolks
- 1/3 cup (75g) caster sugar
- 2 cups (500ml) thickened cream
- 2 tsp Queen Celebrating 120 Years Pure Vanilla Extract
- 3 tsp Queen Vanilla Bean Paste
Method - Base
Process flour, almond meal, butter and icing sugar in food processor to create fine breadcrumbs. Add egg yolks and Vanilla Bean Paste and process until pastry starts to come together. Bring together in a ball, wrap in cling wrap and chill in fridge for 30 minutes.
Line baking tray with baking paper. Grease 18cm fluted tart tin or spring form cake tin, 3.5cm deep, and stand on tray. Alternatively, use a 23cm tart tin for a shorter tart. Preheat oven to 190°C (fan forced).
Place ball of dough in tart tin. Gently spread dough across base and up sides of tin, pushing with fingertips. Line with baking paper, cover with baking beans and bake for 10 minutes.
Remove pastry from oven and remove paper and baking beans. Brush egg yolks over pastry case. Return to oven for 5 minutes then set aside to cool. When cool, leave pastry in tin and wrap base and sides of tin with foil.
Method - Custard
Reduce oven to 150°C (fan forced). Whisk together egg yolks and sugar. Add cream, Vanilla Extract and Vanilla Bean Paste and whisk again. Pour mixture through a sieve into a heavy saucepan.
Heat custard over low heat, stirring constantly. When custard reaches 37°C, remove from heat. Pour custard through sieve into pastry case until full. Cover surface of custard with grated nutmeg. Bake for 50 minutes or until custard looks set but still wobbles slightly. Leave to cool on a wire rack then serve. If desired, chill for 6 hours to enjoy a cold custard tart.
- You will need a thermometer for this recipe to test custard temperature
- This recipe can also be made with good quality sweet short crust pastry. Simply thaw, press into tin, trim and blind bake as per method.
- Recipe will keep for 3-4 days covered in the refrigerator.