- 25 mins
- 70 mins
- 20g butter, melted for greasing
- 250g unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 cups (660g) caster sugar
- 7 large eggs
- 2 Queen Pure Vanilla Bean Pods
- 2 tsp Queen Celebrating 120 Years Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 tsp Queen Vanilla Bean Paste
- Pinch salt
- 3 cups (450g) plain flour
- ½ cup (125ml) buttermilk
- ½ cup (125ml) cream
- 1 ½ cups (225g) icing sugar
- 1 tsp Queen Vanilla Bean Paste
- 2 ½ tbsp (50ml) buttermilk, at room temperature
- 20g unsalted butter, very soft
Method - Cake
Preheat oven to 165C (fan forced) and grease a 3-litre capacity bundt tin with butter (baking spray is not recommended for this recipe).
Beat butter in a stand mixer until pale and creamy. Gradually add sugar and mix until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Using a sharp knife, split Vanilla Bean Pods lengthways and scrape the seeds out with the tip if the knife. Add vanilla seeds, Vanilla Extract, Vanilla Bean Paste and salt to mixture and mix well.
Sift in half flour, then add buttermilk and cream. Sift in remaining flour and mix until thoroughly combined. Pour batter into prepared tin and bake for 70 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean. Cool in tin for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Method - Glaze
While cake cools, make the glaze. Whisk together icing sugar, Vanilla Bean Paste and buttermilk. Whisk in butter until smooth. Set a wire rack over a large baking sheet. Slowly drizzle glaze over cake. Leave to set before slicing and serving.
- This cake is delicious served hot or cold. If it lasts, the flavours develop even more the next day.
- If you don’t have a bottle of our Celebrating 120 Years Pure Vanilla Extract, swap with Vanilla Bean Paste to ensure the same strong flavour profile. Alternatively, double the quantities of your usual Queen vanilla extract/essence and reduce the buttermilk by 2 teaspoons.