- 45 min
- 60-70 min
- 1 cup (165g) seasonal fruit (stone fruit or pears) (approximately 2 peaches)
- ½ cup (110g) sugar
- ½ cup (125ml) water
- 1 Queen Vanilla Bean Pod, split and seeds scraped
- 170g butter, at room temperature
- 1 ½ cups (370g) full cream firm ricotta cheese, room temperature
- Zest of ½ orange (1 tbsp)
- 3 tsp Queen Celebrating 120 Years Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 ½ cups (330g) caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1½ cups (225g) plain flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup (35g) almond meal
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 ½ cups (185g) fresh mixed berries or frozen, thawed & drained
Method - Poached Pears
Cut stone fruit or peeled and cored pears into eighths, set aside. Bring sugar and water to a boil in a small saucepan, mixing until sugar dissolves. Add stone fruit or pears, split Vanilla Bean Pod and seed, and rum, poaching fruits until just softened, about 10 minutes. Drain and set aside, reserving poaching syrup.
Method - Cake
Preheat oven to 180°C (fan forced), grease and line a 23cm round cake tin. In a stand mixer, cream butter until pale and creamy. Add ricotta, orange zest and Vanilla Extract and mix until smooth then add sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time until mixture is smooth. Sift in flour, baking powder, almond meal, salt and mix until just combined. Fold in 1 cup of the mixed berries, taking care not to crush berries.
Pour batter into prepared cake tin. Place poached stone fruit on top and scatter with remaining berries. Bake for 65 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean. Check the cake at 45-50 minutes – if the berries on top are starting to darken too much, cover with foil to prevent further browning.
Allow to cool in tin for 15 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack or serving plate. Serve with a drizzle of poaching syrup and a light dusting of icing sugar.
Cake can be kept for up to 3 days in an airtight container.
Some of our bakers noted that this recipe took a little longer than the original 60 minutes. If the skewer does not come out clean, pop it back in for another 10 minutes.