- 20 mins
- 50 mins
- 1 cup + 1 tbsp (165g) plain flour
- 1/2 cup (50g) almond meal
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- pinch salt
- ¼ tsp ground cardamom
- pinch ground cinnamon
- 150g butter, chilled, cut into small cubes
- 2 tsbp Queen Vanilla Bean Paste
- 2-4 tbsp iced water
- 2/3 cup + 1 tsp (155g) caster sugar
- 1 2/4 cups + 1 tbsp (185g) almond meal
- 2 large eggs, lightly whisked
- Pinch salt
- 1 tsp Queen Finest Vava’u Vanilla Extract
- ½ tsp Queen Natural Almond Extract
- 40g unsalted butter, melted
- 4 bosc pears, ripe but firm
- 1 large egg whisked with 1 tsbp water
- ¼ cup apricot jam
For the pastry, combine all ingredients except chilled water in a food processor and process until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add iced water 1 tsp at a time until mixture comes together. Remove from processor and form a ball (do not knead), wrap in clingwrap and chill for one hour.
For the frangipane, combine all ingredients except butter in a food processor and mix until combined and smooth. Add melted butter and process until mixture comes together. Set aside.
Preheat oven to 200C (fan forced). Halve and core pears, then carefully slice into fans, leaving tops intact.
Once dough is chilled, remove from clingwrap and roll out to a large circle approx. 3-5mm thick on a lightly floured surface, turning to prevent sticking. Gently transfer to a baking tray lined with baking paper, using to rolling pin to lift the dough.
Spread frangipane over dough, leaving a 3-4cm border around the edges, to allow for folding. Top with fanned pears and brush with egg wash. Bake for 45-50 minutes until golden. Once ready to serve, gently heat jam until runny, and then brush galette with a thin layer of jam. Serve with ice cream or double cream.