- 40 mins + chilling
- 20 mins
- 60g butter
- 1 ½ cups (185g) frozen raspberries, thawed
- 2 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup (75g) caster sugar
- 1 cup (150g) plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 6 large eggs, at room temperature
- ¾ cup (165g) caster sugar
- 1 tsp Queen Master Blend Pure Vanilla Extract
- 75g unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups (500ml) thickened cream
- 2 tbsp (25g) icing sugar
- 2 tsp Queen Master Blend Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 ½ cup (225g) icing sugar
- 2 tbsp (40ml) passionfruit pulp (from approx 1 ½ passionfruits)
- Fresh raspberries
- Pomegranate seeds
Method - Raspberry Curd
Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. Add raspberries, egg yolks and sugar and stir to combine until sugar has dissolved. Cook, mashing raspberries and stirring constantly for 10 minutes or until mixture is thick and coats the back of a spoon. Strain into a bowl and refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight.
Method - Sponge
Preheat oven to 160°C (fan forced). Grease two 20cm round cake tins and line with baking paper. Sift flour and baking powder together three times. Set aside.
In a stand mixer, beat eggs, caster sugar and Vanilla Extract on high speed for 12-15 minutes or until mixture triples in volume and is thick and pale in colour.
Sift half flour mixture into egg mixture and gently fold using a large metal spoon. Repeat with remaining flour mixture, taking care not to over mix. Add butter and gently fold to just combine.
Pour batter into two prepared tins and gently smooth the tops. Bake for 20 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Let cakes cool in tins for 5 minutes then turn out onto wire rack to cool completely.
Method - Assembly
For vanilla cream, whip cream, icing sugar and Vanilla Extract until soft peaks form. For passionfruit icing, combine icing sugar and passionfruit pulp and mix until smooth. Stand for 10 minutes or until thickened slightly.
Place one sponge cake on serving plate and spread generously with vanilla cream. Drizzle raspberry curd over cream ensuring the curd mostly stays inside the edges of the cream.
Top with remaining sponge cake then spread passionfruit icing over cake so it drips down the sides slightly. Dollop with vanilla cream and top with fresh raspberries and pomegranate seeds. Serve immediately.
- The Raspberry Curd can be made up to 7 days ahead. Keep chilled in an airtight container until ready to bake. Bring to room temperature before cake assembly.
- This beautiful cake is best eaten on the day the sponges are made. Assemble close to serving time.