- 20 min
- 35 min
- 3 cups (480g) dried fruit, chopped
- ¼ cup (30g) crushed walnuts
- 1 cup (160g) light brown sugar
- 1 large apple, grated
- 1 lemon, juiced (approx 2 tbsp - 40-45ml)
- 50g butter
- 2 tbsp whiskey
- 1 tsp Queen Natural Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp Queen Natural Almond Extract
- 2 tsp cinnamon or Queen Cinnamon Baking Paste
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 large egg
- 2 sheets short crust pastry
- Icing sugar, for dusting
In a medium sized saucepan, add dried fruit, walnuts, sugar, grated apple, lemon juice, butter, whiskey, vanilla extract, almond extract, cinnamon, mixed spice, and nutmeg. Stir well and gently simmer until liquid has boiled
away into a thick syrup. Cool completely.
Pre-heat oven to 180ºC (fan forced) and line a fluted tart tin with short crust pastry. Prick pastry base with a fork and blind bake for 15 minutes. Using a star cookie cutter, cut stars from remaining pastry.
Lightly whisk egg and stir through fruit mince mixture. Pour into cooked pastry base and arrange stars on top. Bake for 20 minutes, turning half way.
Allow to cool completely in tin. Carefully remove from tin and place on platter. Add a dusting of icing sugar and enjoy!
If using Queen Cinnamon Baking Paste, simple add cinnamon to wet ingredients.