- 20 min
- 40 min
- 250g pitted dates, chopped
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 cup (250ml) boiling water
- 100g unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup (75g) brown sugar, firmly packed
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp Queen Organic Vanilla Essence
- 2 large eggs, lightly whisked
- 1 1/2 cups (225) self-raising flour, sifted
- 1 ¼ cup (150g) pecans, roughly chopped, keeping some whole
- 3/4 cup (165g) brown sugar, packed
- 1 tbsp (10g) cornflour
- 2 cups (500ml) boiling water
- 50g unsalted butter, softened
Method - Pudding
In a large bowl combine dates, baking soda and boiling water. Set aside for 15-20 minutes to soften. Mash with a fork.
Preheat oven to 160C (fan forced). Grease a 2L baking dish with butter.
With a hand or stand mixer, beat butter, sugar, salt and Vanilla Essence until well combined and smooth. Add eggs and mix until combined.
Add flour mixing until just combined. Add date mixture and mix well to incorporate. Pour batter into baking dish, top with pecans.
Method - Sauce
Mix together brown sugar and cornflour. Sprinkle over batter.
Mix together boiling water & butter until butter has melted, then pour over the surface of the batter over the back of a dessert spoon. Bake for 35-40 minutes until top has set and an inserted skewer comes out clean. Allow to stand for 5 minutes. Serve warm with ice-cream custard or whipped cream.