- 20 min
- 55 min
- 800g (approx. 4) granny smith apples
- 1/4 cup (55g) caster sugar
- 150g butter, melted
- 1 ¼ cups (190g) self-raising flour
- 1/4 cup (55g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon or Queen Cinnamon Baking Paste
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 60g crystallised ginger, finely sliced
- ½ cup (125ml) milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 1 cup (150g) lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp corn flour
- 20g butter, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons Queen Vanilla Bean Paste
- 1 3/4 cups (435ml) boiling water
Method - Pudding
Peel and core the apples, cutting each apple into 8 wedges. In a frying pan over medium-high heat, cook apples, caster sugar and 50 grams of the butter, turning occasionally, until caramelised (approximately 7-8 minutes). Set aside to cool.
Preheat oven to 180C (fan forced). Grease a 2 litre ovenproof dish and spoon in apple mixture.
Combine flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, ground ginger and crystallised ginger in a bowl. Add milk, egg, golden syrup and remaining butter (100g) and stir until smooth. Spoon batter over apples, spreading to cover.
Method - Sauce
In a medium bowl, mix together brown sugar and corn flour. Add butter, Vanilla Bean Paste, salt and boiling water. Stir until butter has melted and mixture is combined. Gently pour over pudding batter, being sure to leave at least 2cm of room at the top of the baking dish. Bake for 45 minutes and serve warm with ice cream.
If using Queen Cinnamon Baking Paste, incorporate paste into wet ingredients.