- 45 min + resting & proofing
- 40 min
- 2 tbsp (40g) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup (250ml) milk, warm
- 1/3 cup (80ml) water, warm
- 1 tsp Queen Natural Vanilla Paste
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 ¼ tsp (7g) instant yeast
- 3 ¼ cups (490g) plain flour, and extra for work surface
- 1 tsp salt
- Neutral oil to grease bowl (canola, vegetable or grapeseed)
- 140g unsalted butter, melted, extra for greasing
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup (220g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 100g cream cheese, at room temp
- 60g unsalted butter, at room temp
- 1/2 cup (75g) icing sugar, sifted
- 1-2 tsp Queen Natural Vanilla Paste
Method - Dough
Preheat oven to lowest heat setting (approx. 50°C)
In a large measuring cup/bowl, mix together melted butter, milk, water, sugar, & yeast.
This step can be done in a stand mixer with a dough hook (see recipe notes at the bottom on recipe), or by hand. Mix flour & salt together in a bowl & make a well in the centre. Add the milk mixture and Vanilla Paste, then using a wooden spoon or spatula, stir until the dough becomes shaggy & is difficult to stir. Turn it out onto a lightly floured work surface & begin to knead until the dough is smooth, about 10 minutes.
Coat a large bowl with oil, place dough into bowl, then cover with cling wrap and allow to rise for 30-45 minutes or until doubled in size.
Method - Cinnamon Coating
To assemble, grease a 25cm bundt pan or baking dish generously with butter.
Melt the butter in a saucepan (or microwave), then set aside.
Roll dough to about 3cm thick, then cut into pieces & roll into balls.
In a separate medium bowl, mix cinnamon & sugar. Spoon 2 tbsp of melted butter into the prepared tin, then sprinkle over 2 tbsp of sugar mixture into prepared tin.
Dunk dough balls into the remaining melted butter, let the excess drain off, then roll them in cinnamon sugar. Place balls haphazardly into the tin. Tip any leftover sugar & butter over the dough.
Cover with cling wrap then place back into warm oven/warm place 30 minutes, or until dough no longer springs back when you poke it.
Heat the oven to 160C (fanforced). Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until well risen & golden. Let the monkey bread cool for 10 minutes while you make the glaze.
Method - Glaze
Whisk together cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add the sugar and Vanilla Paste, mixing to combine. Turn the monkey bread onto a serving plate and drizzle with glaze to serve.