- 20 min
- 35 min
- ½ cup (125g) unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup (125ml) vegetable oil
- 1 ½ cups (330g) caster sugar
- 1 tbsp Queen Natural Vanilla Essence-Extract
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 3 cups (450g) plain flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ¼ cups buttermilk, room temperature
- 250g unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups (450g) icing sugar
- ½ cup (60g) cocoa powder, sifted
- 3 tbsp (60ml) milk
- 2 tsp Queen Vanilla Bean Paste
Method - Cake
Preheat oven to 180C. Grease & line the base & sides of 2 x 20cm round cake tins with baking paper.
Using a stand or hand mixer, beat butter, oil, sugar & Vanilla until well combined. Add eggs one at a time, mixing until incorporated.
Separately, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Using a spatula, mix in half the flour mixture, then half buttermilk to the butter mixture, repeat with remaining flour & buttermilk and mixing until just combined.
Divide batter between cake tins & bake for 30-35 min. Allow to cool in tin for 10 minutes before inverting onto cooling rack to cool completely before frosting.
Method - Buttercream
Using a stand or hand mixer, beat butter until light and creamy. Add sugar, cocoa, milk & Vanilla. Mix on low until combined, then increase to high & beat until fluffy. Spread half of the buttercream over the first layer, then top with second layer and finish with remaining buttercream.