- 15 min
- 2.5 hours
- 395g canned sweetened condensed milk (or ready to use caramel , such as top ‘n’ fill)
- 250g unsalted butter, chopped
- 1 cup (220g) firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tsp Queen Natural Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup (60ml) full cream milk
- 1/4 cup (60ml) butterscotch schnapps
- 1 1/2 cups (225g) plain flour, sifted
- 1/2 cup (75g) self-raising flour, sifted
- 2 eggs
- 300 g white chocolate, finely chopped
- 100ml thickened cream
- 160g ready to use caramel, such as top ‘n’ fill
- 1 tsp Queen Vanilla Bean Paste
Method - Caramel
If making your own caramel, preheat oven to 220°C (fan forced).
Pour condensed milk into a 2-litre ovenproof dish. Cover dish with foil and crush excess foil upwards. Place dish in a larger baking dish and add enough boiling water to come halfway up side of the dish. Bake for 1 ½ hours stirring mixture several times during cooking, until a golden caramel colour, adding extra boiling water to baking dish as needed to maintain water level during baking. Whisk caramel until smooth. Cover and cool to room temperature.
Method - Cake
Reduce oven to 130°C (fan forced). Grease a deep 20cm (8-inch) round cake pan and line base and side with baking paper.
In a medium saucepan, stir butter, sugar, vanilla and salt over low heat, without boiling, until smooth. Add prepared caramel (or top ‘n’ fill), milk and schnapps; whisk until smooth. Transfer mixture to a large bowl and cool for 15 minutes. Whisk in sifted flours, then eggs. Pour into pan.
Bake for 1 hour. Cover pan loosely with foil and bake another 45 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean. Let cake cool in tin for 15 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool.
Method - Ganache
Add chopped white chocolate to a medium bowl. Heat cream in a saucepan over low heat until it reaches a low simmer. Pour over white chocolate and leave for 3-4 minutes before mixing thoroughly. Let cool before mixing through caramel (top ‘n’ fill). Refrigerate for 20-30 minutes.
Using a serrated knife, carefully level the cake by slicing off the domed top. Lightly ganache the sides and generously top the cake with remaining ganache.