- 30 min
- 1 hr 15 min
- 1 ½ cups (375ml) hot water
- 250g butter
- 200g dark cooking chocolate
- ¼ cups (30g) cocoa powder
- 2 cups (440g) caster sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp Queen Vanilla Bean Paste
- 1 ½ cups (225g) plain flour
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Dr. Oetker Designer Icing Chocolate Flavour
- 1 disc Dr. Oetker Ready Rolled Icing White
- 1 packet Queen Royal Icing
- Queen Food Colour Gels in Blue, Red, Yellow and Green
- Dr. Oetker Sour Strands, Chocolate Silver Pearls and Salted Caramel Crunch
Method - Mud Cake
Preheat oven to 150°C (fan forced) and line a 15cm cake tin with baking paper.
In saucepan over low heat, melt together hot water, butter, chocolate, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder and Vanilla Bean Paste. When cooled, add flour and eggs and mix well. The mixture will be very runny. Pour into cake tin and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
Allow to cool for 5 minutes before turning out. Once cool, place on cake board and cover in Designer Icing or ganache before applying Ready Rolled Icing disc. Gently roll out icing disc over cake, remove plastic then use hands to smooth. Trim off excess with a knife. Sprinkle icing sugar to smooth where necessary.
Method - Decorate
Mix Royal Icing as directed on packaging and divide into different bowls. Add Food Colour Gels of your choice to each bowl and mix well. Place each colour in separate piping bags with narrow tip, or use small zip lock bags with tiny hole snipped off in one corner.
Start by piping one colour in a 10cm wedge across the top of the cake. Pick up cake board and gently tap on the counter so icing drips down side of the cake. Repeat using each colour around the cake. Sprinkle Sour Strands and Chocolate Silver Pearls on top of the cake as desired.
Pipe Royal Icing around bottom of cake and decorate with Sour Strands, Chocolate Silver Pearls and Salted Caramel Crunch.