- 45 min
- 50 min
Method - Meringue
Preheat oven to 200ºC (fan forced). Place caster sugar on an oven tray lined with baking paper, spread thin and warm in oven for 5 minutes.
While sugar is heating, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form, approx. 1-2 minutes. Remove sugar from oven and while still mixing, fold sides of baking paper and add sugar gradually to egg whites. Beat on high for 5-10 minutes until mixture forms firm peaks and bowl of mixer cool to the touch. Add Strawb'ry & Cream Flavour for Icing, mixing to combine.
Reduce oven to 100ºC and divide meringue into 6 bowls. Add drops of Food Colour Gel to 4 bowls to reach desired red shades and leave 2 bowls white.
Trace 5 x 18-20cm diameter circles onto a tray lined with baking paper. Turn paper over and dollop meringue within circles. Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until meringue has dried and will lift from baking paper easily. Repeat with all meringue layers.
With the remaining bowl of meringue, paint stripes of red food colour gel into a piping bag and then spoon in meringue. Pipe meringue kisses and bake for 30 minutes.
Method - Decorate
When ready to serve, whip cream, icing sugar, Vanilla Bean Paste and Strawb'ry & Cream Flavour for Icing until medium peaks form and layer in between meringues. Add a top layer of cream and finish with strawberries & meringue kisses.
– Separate your eggs while they are cold – Chilled eggs are far easier to separate as the whites are firmer.
– Bring your egg whites to room temperature (approx 30 mins) before whipping. Room temperature egg whites give more volume and better structure than cold ones!
– Use a glass, ceramic or metal bowl when whipping your whites – plastic ones tend to hold onto grease from previous uses.
– Wipe your utensils and bowl with vinegar to get rid of any grease that will stop your eggs from whipping up.
– Check your meringue is ready to go by rubbing some between your fingers to check there is no grittiness.