- 20 min
- 60 min
- ¾ cup (180ml) milk
- Pinch of saffron
- 150g butter, room temperature
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsp Queen Celebrating 120 Years Vanilla Extract
- 1 ½ tsp Queen Rosewater Essence
- 1 ½ cups (225g) self raising flour
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 2 tsp lemon zest (approx. ½ lemon)
- ½ cup (60g) chopped pistachios
Lemon Rose Syrup
- ⅓ cup (75g) caster sugar
- 80-90ml lemon juice (juice of 2 lemons)
- ½ tsp Queen Rosewater Essence
Method - Cake
Preheat oven to 180°C (fan forced). Grease and line a 20cm round cake tin.
Gently warm milk in the microwave for 40 seconds. Add saffron and allow to infuse while you make the cake.
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, Vanilla Extract and Rosewater Essence and beat well.
Add flour, cardamom, lemon, pistachios and saffron milk and mix on low until just combined.
Pour into prepared cake tin and bake for 55-60 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
Method - Lemon Rose Syrup
During the last 10 minutes of baking, combine sugar, lemon juice and water in a small saucepan and heat until sugar has dissolved and mixture has slightly thickened. Add Rosewater Essence, stirring to incorporate. Straight from the oven, pierce the cake multiple times with a skewer and pour warm syrup over hot cake. Allow to cool for 10 minutes in tin before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Top with rose petals, pistachios and icing sugar before serving.