- 1 tsp instant coffee
- 1 cup (250ml) boiling water
- 250g unsalted butter, cubed
- 200g 70% Dark Chocolate
- 2 cups (440g) caster sugar
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp (40ml) vegetable oil
- ½ cup (125ml) buttermilk
- 4 tsp Queen Celebrating 120 Years Master Blend Pure Vanilla Extract
- ⅔ cup (100g) self raising flour, sifted
- 1 ⅓ cup (200g) plain flour, sifted
- ½ cup (60g) cocoa, sifted
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1½ cups (180g) unsalted peanuts
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- ½ cup (125ml/180g) Queen Glucose Syrup
- 1 tbsp water
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp Queen Celebrating 120 Years Master Blend Pure Vanilla Extract
- 20g butter
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Queen Buttercream Icing
- 1/3 cup smooth peanut butter
- Peanut butter, extra, to swirl
- Cocoa powder, to dust
Method - Cake
Preheat oven to 160C (fan forced). Grease and line the base and sides of a 20cm deep round cake tin with baking paper. Set aside.
Combine coffee and water in a medium saucepan over a low heat. Add butter, chocolate and sugar stirring occasionally until mixture is smooth. Set aside to cool.
Combine eggs, vegetable oil, buttermilk and Vanilla Extract in a jug. Add to cooled chocolate mixture, mixing until just combined.
Sift remaining ingredients into a large bowl, mixing to combine. Make a well in the centre and pour in chocolate mixture, stirring to combine. Pour into prepared tin and bake for 1 hour 30 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool in tin for 10 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Method - Peanut Brittle
Grease a baking tray and set aside.
In a large microwave safe bowl, combine peanuts, sugar, Glucose Syrup, water and salt. Cook in microwave for 6 minutes on high power, stirring half way. Mixture should be bubbly and peanuts browned. Be careful as bowl will be very hot.
Stir in butter and Vanilla Extract, cook for another 2 minutes. Quickly stir in baking soda (just until mixture is foamy). Pour immediately onto greased baking tray. Allow cool for 15 minutes or until set. Break into pieces and store in an airtight container.
Method - Icing
Prepare Queen Buttercream Icing per package instructions with an additional 2 teaspoons of milk. Add peanut butter and beat until mostly incorporated, with a few streaks of white remaining. Spoon onto cooled cake and smooth, adding a few more tablespoons of peanut butter to swirl through. Top with peanut brittle and dust with cocoa powder to serve.
We used a 1200 watt microwave to make our peanut brittle, please note that lower wattage microwaves may take longer.