- 30 min
- 80g unsalted butter, melted
- 1 ¼ cups (190g) plain flour
- 1/3 cup (75g) caster sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- (optional) 1 tbsp Milk *see recipe notes
- 2 cups (300g) plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 120g unsalted butter, softened
- Zest from 2 lemons
- ¾ cup (165g) caster sugar
- 1 tsp Queen Concentrated Vanilla Extract
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- ½ cup (125ml) buttermilk *see note
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 ½ cups (125g) fresh or frozen blueberries*
- Icing sugar, to dust
Method - Crumble
Place ingredients in a small bowl, mix to combine. Set aside.
Method - Cake
Preheat oven to 180C (fan-forced). Grease and line the base and sides of a 20cm round cake tin.
Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine butter, lemon zest, sugar and Vanilla Bean Paste. Beat for 5 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time beating until just incorporated.
Combine buttermilk and lemon juice. Add 1/3 of the flour mixture to the mixer, followed by 1/3 of the buttermilk mixture. Beat until just combined, then repeat with remaining ingredients. Fold through blueberries, then pour mixture into tin, and spread evenly. Top with crumble and bake for 1 hour 15 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out with a few moist crumbs. If you feel your crumble topping is getting a bit to brown, cover with foil for the remaining cooking time. Cool cake in tin for 30 minutes before serving warm with a dusting of icing sugar, or allow to cool completely in tin.
– *If you do not have buttermilk on hand, simply add 2 tsp of vinegar or lemon juice to 1/2 cup full cream milk. Allow to sit for 2 minutes before using.
– **If your crumble is looking a bit dry after mixing, add a tsp of milk at a time until it gets to a crumbly consistency
– Frozen blueberries may increase the cooking time by 10-15 minutes.
– This cake is absolutely beautiful as an apple cinnamon coffee cake, simply sub out the blueberries and lemon with some tinned apples and a couple teaspoons of ground cinnamon in the crumble topping!