- 40 min + overnight soaking
- 3 hours
- 4 2/3 cups (745g) mixed dried fruit
- 1 1/2 (240g) dried figs
- 1 cup (125g) glace cherries
- 100g blanched almonds
- 1 tsp Lemon Zest
- 2 tbsp (40ml) rum
- 2 tbsp (40ml) brandy
- 1 tsp Queen Natural Almond Extract
- 2 tsp Queen Vanilla Bean Paste
- 2 tsp Queen Natural Rosewater Essence
- 100ml fresh orange juice
- 250g butter
- 1 1/4 cups (200g) brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 1/4 cups (340g) plain flour
- 1/4 cup (40g) self raising flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon or Queen Cinnamon Baking Paste
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- Dr.Oetker Ready to Roll Icing White
- Fresh (or dry) cranberries, to serve
- Rosemary sprigs, to serve
Combine all fruit, almonds, all Queen essences and orange juice in a large bowl. Cover and leave overnight to soak.
Line a loaf tin with 2 layers of brown paper and then a layer of baking paper, leaving a 7cm overhang. Preheat the oven to 130C (fan-forced).
Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time beating well after each addition.
Sift together flours, salt and spices. Fold in the fruit and flour mixtures alternately into the butter mixture. Mix well. Spoon into prepared tin, smooth top. Decorate with extra almonds.
Bake in oven for about 3 hours or until skewer inserted in center comes out clean, covering loosely with foil if almonds are browning too quickly. Allow to cool in tin for 30 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Once cake is cold, knead Fondant icing until smooth and roll out to 1cm thickness and using a knife, cut one large piece to the length of the cake and two pieces in the shape of a star. Use a little jam or sugar syrup to brush the cake, then apply icing. Finish with cranberries, rosemary and dust with icing sugar before serving.
We love Dr.Oetker Ready to Roll Icing. See their full range on the Dr.Oetker Australia website.
For more great ways to decorate with Ready to Roll Icing, click here.
If using Queen Cinnamon Baking Paste, incorporate paste into wet ingredients.