- 50 min
- 45 min
- 12 servings
- 100g dark cooking chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 285g (1 1/3 cups) caster sugar
- 165ml (2/3 cup) milk
- 100g butter, chopped
- 1 tbsp instant coffee granules
- 150g (1 cup) self-raising flour
- 115g (3/4 cup) plain flour
- 50g (1/2 cup) cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 625ml (2 1/2 cups) thickened cream
- 185ml (3/4 cup) double cream
- 1 1/2 tbsp Queen Organic Vanilla Bean Paste
- Chocolate coated coffee beans, to decorate
- 100g pkt dark cooking chocolate, finely chopped
- 125ml (1/2 cup) thickened cream
Preheat the oven to 160°C/140°C fan forced. Grease two 20cm round cake pans. Line bases with baking paper.
Heat the chocolate, sugar, milk, butter and coffee in a saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes or until smooth. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly.
Transfer the chocolate mixture to a large bowl. Add the self-raising flour, plain flour, cocoa powder and bicarb. Use a balloon whisk to whisk until the mixture is almost combined. Add the eggs and oil and whisk until well combined. Divide mixture between prepared pans. Bake for 35 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Set aside in the pans for 15 minutes to cool slightly before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Meanwhile, make the chocolate drizzle. Place the chocolate and cream in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on High, stirring every minute, until melted and smooth. Set aside to cool and thicken slightly.
Use electric beaters to beat the thickened cream, double cream and vanilla bean paste in a large bowl until firm peaks form.
Brush the bases of cakes with a little of the chocolate drizzle. Brush a small amount of chocolate drizzle in the centre of a serving plate (this will secure the cake to the plate). Place one of the chocolate cakes in the centre of the plate. Top with some of the vanilla whipped cream. Top with the remaining cake. Top with the remaining vanilla whipped cream. Spoon over with the remaining chocolate drizzle. Sprinkle with chocolate coated coffee beans to serve.