- 15 min
- 60 min
- 3 tbsps unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 4 cups peeled, seeded, and coarsely chopped fresh ripe tomatoes or 4 cups canned tomatoes with their juice
- 8 cups (2L) chicken stock
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp Queen Natural Peppermint Essence
- 2 cups (500ml) cream
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Melt the butter in a medium-large, non-reactive stockpot over low heat. Add the onion and garlic and sweat, stirring occasionally, until translucent but not browned, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for about 4 minutes. Be careful not to let the flour brown.
Add tomatoes, chicken stock, tomato paste, and peppermint essence. Increase the heat to high. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to maintain a steady simmer. Cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes are very soft, about 30 minutes.
Blend soup until smooth, then stir in cream. Simmer, uncovered, stirring frequently, until the soup is heated through. Serve hot.