- 2 cups (300g) plain flour
- 2 tablespoons custard powder
- 1/3 cup (75g) caster sugar
- 185g cold butter, chopped
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons cold water, approximately
- 475g jar fruit mince
- 2 tsp Queen Natural Brandy Essence
- 1/4 cup (60g) glace peaches, chopped finely
- 1/4 cup (60g) glace apricots, chopped finely
- 1 tsp Queen Natural Orange Extract
- 2 tsp Queen Natural Lemon Extract
- 1 egg white, beaten lightly
- 1 tablespoon sugar
Grease two 12-hole deep patty pan trays.
Process the flour, custard powder, caster sugar and butter until crumbly. Add the egg yolk and just enough water to make ingredients cling together.
Knead pastry on a lightly floured surface until smooth, wrap in plastic; refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Roll two-thirds of the pastry between sheets of baking paper until 3mm thick. Cut 24 x 7.5cm rounds from pastry, re-rolling as necessary to make 24 rounds. Place rounds into greased trays, reserve the pastry scraps. Refrigerate while preparing the filling.
Combine the fruit mince, brandy, glacé fruits and essences in a bowl.
Preheat oven to 200 degrees C /180 degrees C fan-forced.
Spoon 1 heaped teaspoon of fruit mince into pastry cases. Roll remaining pastry on a floured surface until 3mm thick. Using 4.5cm Christmas-tree and star cutters, cut out 12 trees and 12 stars. Place pastry shapes in centre of tarts. Brush pastry with egg white, sprinkle with sugar.
Bake for about 20 minutes or until browned.